Monday, January 3, 2011

Our Crockett

 There were no 2nd, 3rd or 4th batch of Christmas Cookies baked today.

Last night was the second night that Crockett kept us up with a scary cough.
Saturday night, he woke up about 5 times throughout the night with this
awful cough.  It was completely different from the Pug Reverse Sneeze.
It would last 30 seconds and then he'd be fine.

Sunday during the day, he did it a few times - after physical exertion.

Last night at around 1:00am, he had another coughing fit.
This one freaked me out as it wasn't a 30 second cough cough spit.
This lasted about 5 minutes.
I panicked after 3 minutes, grabbed the camera & shot this:


It took everything in me not to load him into a cab & go to the
Emergency Vet Clinic.

It was very shortly after I pressed stop on the camera that he stopped.
I took him out into the living room where it's cooler, sat with him
by his water bowl & slept on the couch next to him in his dog basket.

He had one more episode around 3am that thankfully didn't last very long.

As soon as the Vet opened this morning our appointment was booked.
Based on what Crockett was doing, I figured it was Kennel Cough.

Our apartment building does not have any green space at all.
No Courtyard, nothing.  Crockett gets walked to the
grass across the street, the parkette or next door to the big park.
He doesn't play with alot of dogs off leash, but he does
give a sniff and a *hi* to multiple dogs daily as we live in
a high dog populated area.

The Vet said that Kennel Cough is going around and that
she's seen quite a few cases.


Crockett with his, "I know I'm at the Vet" look.

They sent Crockett for a Chest X-Ray.
One thing about Crockett is that he is squirmy.
Not just squirmy, really really difficult to handle squirmy.
When he had an ear infection a while back, I had to take nightly trips
after work to the vet just to get drops put in his ears.

As he was being X-Ray'd, I could hear him coughing from where I was
sitting in the exam room.  It was heartbreaking.
He came back into the exam room after the X-Ray and the coughing continued.

When he finally stopped, the poor little monkey was exhausted.

I also uploaded these 2 videos of the experience so my folks could see exactly
what I was talking about.



When he was back to breathing normally & had a few gulps
of water, we left the Vet's office and headed for home
to get his medication in him.


Waiting for the bus - fogging up the glass.


We were given the instruction to keep him away from other dogs for 14 days, to
 let him rest and that one of his 2 medications will make him sleepy.

He has been comfortable & cough free all afternoon.
Thank DOG!

I, on the other hand am still dealing with my lack of sleep, stress headache. 
It's been a brutal 36 hours.

I am hoping to get a good nights sleep tonight as tomorrow,
I go back to work!

No comments: