Sunday, February 13, 2011

Apple Loaf

I had an uncomfortable day Saturday.
Bruxism got the better of me and I woke up

On my last visit to the MD she gave me a prescription for something
a little stronger than OTC pain relievers.
Sadly, the prescription is sitting in my drawer.
3 doses of Extra Strength Motrin didn't do it.
A hot facecloth on the forehead is in order.
Note to self:  Stop procrastinating.

I wasn't really in the mood to cook anything for dinner.
Adam did himself a fast fry steak so he was good.
I settled for a bowl of porridge.
Sadly, I added too much water & it was more like oatmeal soup.
As I had to stay in the kitchen to watch and stir my oatmeal in the
hopes it would thicken, I decided to bake a cake.

My Mom gave me the cookbook: 
Company's Coming: Muffins & More
by Jean Paré

I decided on this, only I don't have a loaf pan.


Since I used a square pan, I didn't bake it for 60 minutes.
I reduced it to 40 minutes and it was perfect.
Also, being that I'm allergic to nuts, I left them out
and didn't substitute them with anything else.


It came out of the pan cleanly and solid.


The top is good and crunchy and the inside with the grated
apple is really moist.


It cut really well and both Adam & I enjoyed it.
If I can create this while watching and stirring my oatmeal
almost non-stop, ANYONE can do it.

I'm 2 for 2 lately with my baking!
Nothing burned and completely yummy.
Which is good, because my oatmeal never fully recovered
and was not quite edible.
I had a square of Apple Loaf for dinner.
Sunday's breakfast?  Oatmeal.

Something I've started to do recently is write in my cookbooks
on the page, the date I made the recipe.
I don't know why.
Just because.

No comments: