Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Joanna Lumley's Nile

Adam went to bed early tonight.
For him, that's odd. I married a night owl.
There are times I'm getting up & he's just coming to bed.

I was channel surfing after watching (what I have promised
myself never to watch again) The Biggest Loser and saw listed
on TVO; Joanna Lumley's Nile.

I have to let it be known that I, even being the Anglophile I am,
never watched Absolutely Fabulous.
To me, Joanna Lumley is forever Marjorie Majors.
Who Shirley Valentine thought had grown up and become an
Airline Hostess, but no darling, is a Prostitute.

Since watching Prince of Persia, and with the recent goings on in Egypt,
I have come to realize that I know nothing of Ancient Persia or
Egyptian or really any Middle Eastern History.
Only since my love of maps and cartography started about 15 years ago
did I learn that Egypt was in Africa. I didn't realize it was transcontinental.
There, I said it, I admit it!!!!!!

I can honestly say the ONLY history I remember from school was about
the founder of Manitoba and leader of the Métis Louis Riel.
Unfortunate.

My Dad has always poo-poo'd my interest in
movies in that they're a time waster.
"Go outside, take a walk."
Well, I also love nature, but movies and documentaries have
shown me things and taken me places I can only dream of going.
Plus, my Dad would be very happy if he understood how much I love
nature, taking walks, watching animals and also looking up in the sky.
I think our natural world & everything in it is fascinating.

However, movies have made me want to learn more about History,
 Greek Mythology, Egypt, Persia, New Zealand (well, Middle Earth),
New York City, San Francisco, The Great Wall of China,
The Great Barrier Reef, the Northern Lights, Mauritius, Hong Kong, Goa,
Ireland, Turkey...   The list could go on.

I also love the ROM. I went when they had the exhibit:
My Dad actually got me a certificate for the ROM for Christmas.
Sadly and I don't know why, I didn't go to the exhibit :

I digress. Back to Joanna Lumley's Nile.
I unfortunately missed Episode One last week, but I am
going to add this documentary to my Christmas 2011 wish list.
I'll be tuning in next Tuesday night for sure!


It's making me want to go to purchase
 a cool Tilley Adventure Hat and Vest!



No comments: