Thursday, November 4, 2010

Winter Wonderland

I am really looking forward to Christmas this year.
I don't know why this year I feel different, I just do.
Actually, I think I am also looking forward to snow.

I say that now, but when I have to walk home from the subway
on snow covered sidewalks I'll grumble a bit to myself I'm sure.
But then I love the feeling when you get indoors out of the cold and your
cheeks start to warm up.
I love it when it is crisp cold and the sky is so clear you can see
loads of stars, even here in the city.

I know everything seems bigger when you're a kid, but we DID
have more snowfall & accumulation when I was a kid.
We never had a snowblower.
The 2 shovels and the broom had a home on the front steps
so you could grab them as you opened the door.
Remember the time you could do that and they wouldn't get stolen?

These photos of me and my brother are from 1976.
I was 8 years old.
My snowsuit was AWESOME.
Red with a Canadian Flag badge and the zipper from neck to ankle.
I still have and still wear that white hat!
Our mittens were no doubt made by my Mom.
The snow would ball up on them and be honest, you ate it too, with bits of yarn in it.
The best was when I'd kick off my boots and my socks would be
holding on by a big toe where they'd worked their way down while outside playing.


Snow Angels

In our backyard

In the front yard

Another in the backyard

Snow makes me think of Christmas, Christmas makes me think of music.
I love Christmas Carols.
I sing them all year round when I'm waiting for the bus and am sure that
no one can hear me. Winter Wonderland is a staple.

I am going to spend some time making a Christmas Carol Playlist so that
my blog will be accompanied by Christmas Carols for the entire
month of December.
Can't wait!


No comments: