Saturday, July 23, 2011

Birthday Cake FAIL

Today is my Mom's 78th Birthday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

She is spending it with my brother & his family so I decided to make
a nice cake for them to enjoy with what I'm sure will be an awesome BBQ.

This was my inspiration.
Source : Google Images


So, I made 4 cakes.
I know, 1 is a different size.
I thought I needed a bigger one for the base.


After they cooled down,
I sliced my pieces from each cake.
They all cut quite well.
I put them in the fridge for a hour.


I think the colors came out well.
The yellow was my favourite.
Probably because it looks the most like cake.


The icing was where I felt myself go to bits.
I started to panic as my kitchen was so hot.
The window was closed due to the humidity outside and the sun
was beaming in the window onto the counter right where I was working.

I cracked open a Mott's Clamato Caesar (see Project 365) and carried on.


I trimmed the edges and I must say at this stage, I am happy with my cake.

When it was finally iced, I was disappointed.
The cake was the perfect temperature to ice but the icing itself was too hot.
I wanted it to be a perfect smooth white block.



I camouflaged my messy cake with funky candles & dolly mixture.
Sadly, the color of the cakes could be seen through the icing :(
I was hoping for a "wow!" reaction when the cake was cut.

Oh well, this was my first try at this kind of cake.
I know my Mom will appreciate the effort.
They swung by about 15 minutes ago on their way to Phil's to pick it up.
I'm looking forward to their critique.

Until then, I'll have another Caesar!

No comments: