Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pagliaci

I love Classical Music.

However, I've never been a lover of Opera.
I went to an Opera with my parents once and unfortunately spent most
of my time reading the subtitles to understand the story 
rather than taking in and feeling the music.

Like any other person of my generation, the only Opera
I am completely familiar with are those that Mel Blanc
loved and set Bugs Bunny cartoons to.
Seriously, who can hear the Barber of Seville & not picture
Bugs working on Elmer Fudd in a barber's chair.

 Sunday nights on Toronto Classical 96.3fm is Opera night.

This past Sunday I was in the kitchen baking with the radio on and
was enjoying it so much that when I went to go into my room
to check e-mail, I turned on my dinky clock radio.

The only sound that normally emits from this thing is the
WAH WAH WAH of the alarm.


A song came on and within the first 5 notes I was enraptured.
It wasn't familiar at first.
I couldn't move. I just sat here still.

As these words came belting out of my little radio,
tears were streaming down my face;

Ridi, Pagliaccio,
sul tuo amore infranto!

Now, had I heard that in an Opera House, I'd be, no doubt,
weeping uncontrollably.

I don't know what this Opera is about, no idea at all.
I soon will, as I'm going to take a trip to the Toronto Library
and find me a book on it to do me some learnin'!

Here is a link. Click on it & listen to the version that did me in.
Awesome.




Post Note: Oh....upon looking this up, I don't think I can go & see this Opera.
I suffer from Coulrophobia.
Not really, Clowns just really freak me out :(

No comments: