Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Role Reversal and a New Appreciation

I feel I should've been in my 20's in the 1950's.
As a little girl I wanted to be a Mother, a Homemaker.
I loved Mrs. Cleaver's style.
I loved how Edith Bunker looked after Archie.
I didn't understand why Mrs.Brady needed Alice when Mrs. Partridge
did it on her own and was in a band!

I would love to do the ironing wearing these items:


  

Flash forward to the present and I'm 41 years old, happily married
approaching our 6th Anniversay, childless ( fur baby aside) and currently
the one going out to work.

I know that it's not Adam's choice to be out of work and he knows that
I would love the opportunity to not work, so there is some odd
role reversal going on.

I never wanted to be the Enjoli Perfume 24 hour woman. What is that lady's
husband doing while she's doing it all?  Most likely his Secretary.

Our deal is, while Adam is home, he is the Domestic Engineer.
He cleans, sweeps, tidies, launders, walks the dog and makes my lunch.
The tasks he's doing, I have had a hard time letting go of. Why?  Because he
doesn't do these tasks the way I do. You know....the right way.

So last night, he was putting the pillow case on wrong. I interupted his struggle to
show him the right way and was completely taken aback when he said,
" I don't go to your work & tell you how to do your job."
My only response was uncontrollable laughter and a new appreciation
at how hard he is trying to make me happy. 


No comments: