Monday, August 30, 2010

The Lovely Bones

I read the book The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold a few months ago.
The story is told from the point of view of Suzie Salmon who, at 14 is brutally murdered. She is watching her family cope with her death and watching her murderer from the "InBetween".
It was an interesting read and not what I'd expected.


I was excited when I'd heard that Peter Jackson was directing the film and also writing the screenplay with Fran Jackson & Phillipa Boyens. I am a Peter Jackson fan but I did not see this film when it came out in the theaters.  The book was still too fresh in my mind.  It was a book that stayed with me. Would creep into my thoughts. It made me cry, think about life, the after-life and death.  It made me think about Heaven and what Heaven is to me within my belief system and what I hope it to be. 

Adam rented me the dvd today.  The writing team adapted the book well. They left out some major story lines, but the story/film did not suffer because of it.  There was one point in the film where I thought they were going to veer off the ending, but they didn't, they stayed true.
Peter Jackson's imagery of the "InBetween" was breathtaking and beautiful.
  
The InBetween
As much as the book stayed with me long after I read it, so will this movie. 
It is not a film I can ever re-watch but I am glad I saw it. 

No comments: