Monday, January 2, 2012

Back To Work...Full Throttle

I was off work for a full 9½ days.
It was the first time ever I got time off between Christmas & New Year.
It was relaxing and joyful and relaxing and relaxing.
I loved being at home.
I loved not taking the bus.
I loved going to bed late and sleeping in.
I loved spending so much time with Adam & Crockett.

Last night, I had a bad night in that I didn't sleep.
I never have issues falling asleep.
It is something that Adam hates about me.
On a normal day, I put my head on the pillow and within
5 minutes, I'm asleep.

I looked at the clock a few times between 4:00am - 4:45am and then
decided just to get up already.
I had enough time today to put on some eye make-up
with my mascara and cut my bangs!

We worked today to have last Friday off, which I'm fine with,
except that the TTC were on their holiday schedule today
so my week day rush hour special bus was not running.

I had to walk 1.5kms from the regular route stop to the office.
It is a route that Google Maps warns,
"Use caution – This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths."

This morning, the sidewalks/street were covered in ice.
The ice was covered with a light dusting of snow.
On a good day, this walk should take 20 minutes.
Today, it took me just over 35 minutes.
I was literally one driveway away from my office
when I fell flat on my backside.
Luckily, the coffee I got at the Tim Horton's counter
in the gas station didn't spill.
The area was a ghost town so luckily no one saw me fall
down or struggle to get up.
I did get to talk to 2 guard dogs on my walk so that
was nice, even if they did want to eat my face.

I was looking forward to a nice quiet day of getting
caught up on e-mails and organizing the week.
This was no to be.
At 11:30am, my Manager & I had to
go over to the warehouse to do a quality inspection
of a container of goods we received that we'd been having
production challenges with.

27 skids.
Approx 160 cartons per skid.
Each carton had to be opened.
There were 2 inner cartons in each carton that had
to be removed an opened.
The items had to be inspected, repacked and
put back on a skid.

From 11:30am to 4:00pm we completed 2¾ skids.
Standing up, in a chilly warehouse.

From not getting a decent nights' sleep to walking 1.5kms in the 
cold before 8am and standing on my feet for 4½ hrs, I walked
through the door tonight in physical pain.

I threw off my clothes and went right into
a too hot bathtub.
Look. I've got prune hands!


Thankfully, after seeing what a big job this is
and the timeline we have to turn the order around, they'll
be calling in Temps to complete the task.
Good thing, or Adam would be married to a complete bitch this week.

I'm starving.
Craving Grilled Cheese Sandwich.