Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lost In Translation

One of the reasons I started this blog was that a little over
4 years ago I changed jobs.
I went from a middle management position where 
I did alot of business writing to a
Logistics Administration position where I communicate
via e-mail to people in China.

I feel like I've had to dumb myself down in my e-mail communication,
leaving out unnecessary words so that messages are clear and concise 
and can be easy translatable in translation software.

Sometimes communication is tough and I have to read
received e-mails aloud so I can ask my coworkers,
"What do you interpret that as meaning?"

A perfect example of lost in translation is this
Christmas wish received today from
Yang who works in a factory in Ningbo, China.
I know he means well, but I just don't get what Yang
was trying to say:

 
Have an icy-icy CHRISTMAS, with BUTTERING MSGs, CHOCALATY CALLS, CREAMY THOUGHTS, FRUITY FUNS.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

No comments: