Wednesday, December 14, 2011

This Whole 99% Thing

I get it, I do.
I am concerned with the disappearing middle class.


I feel that there are generations younger than
me that have a (pardon my french) fucked up
sense of entitlement and no money management skills.


Occupy Toronto turned into a few seriously dedicated folks
mixed in with Toronto's young adult homeless population
setting up a tent city that resulted in the true message being lost.


There are CEO's and CFO's, movie stars and professional 
athletes all over the world making far too much money.
There are teachers and nurses all over the world making
far too little money.


I'm in a tough spot socioeconomically.
 Adam & I are in our 40's, married and childless.
We were both born in Canada.
Adam has been out of work for longer than anticipated
and we live on one income.
 We are not property owners.
We do not own a car.
I pay my taxes.
We live within our means.
We have the necessities.
 
Take all of the above into account and
we qualify for exactly nothing in regards
to Govt programs or tax breaks.
Provincially and Federally
we are invisible.
We don't matter.
I DO NOT want a handout.
That is not what this is about.
It's about a frustration of being invisible.


I see the 1% at my office everyday.
I see the 99% in life, on the bus, subway, everywhere, everyday.
The parking lot at work consists of a Maserati, a Jaguar,
2 Lexus's, an Audi, and a Camry.
I take the bus.
Am I bitter?
Yes and no. 
More no than yes.

How much the world has changed this first 40 years of my life has
me frightened for the changes of the next 40 years.