Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Day Started With Sadness

Yesterday when I arrived at work, there was a bird in the office.  A Starling.  Poor dear thing.  I had no idea if he'd been trapped all weekend or just since the morning.  I seemed to terrify him and he was trying to escape by bumping into the skylight.  Before I did anything, I put some bread on the floor. He didn't eat it.

We only have 2 skylights and the poor thing was bumping into all the beams. This is the skylight he was trying to escape from. I took this photo a while ago to show my Mom my only source of natural light as I sit at my desk.


I tried for about 30 minutes to get him cornered so I could get him into a box. I failed.  We called over the Whse Mgr to come but I feared he'd hurt him.  Turns out little birdie found a way to get through the ceiling from one office to another & he disappeared into the wall.

I feared that birdie either committed suicide or was going to stay in hiding for the rest of the day.  I left the office with a sense of sadness that I didn't see him fly free.

This morning I walked up the stairs and nothing. No noise, no bird poop anywhere, so I began my day.  When my boss got in, she went into the office next door and called me.  Birdie was dead.  He was laying on the floor in a corner.  Poor love.  He probably had been inside for too long without food or water.  Sadly he hadn't eaten the bread I'd left & I don't think he could figure out how to drink from a toilet.

I have decided that next time I am out shopping I am going to go to ToysRUs or a dollar store & buy a butterfly net to keep in the office in case this happens again.

I picked up birdie on a piece of cardboard, put him in a bag & advised the Whse Mgr (who didn't show up yesterday to try and save him) that he had a bird corpse to pick up.  When I left the office this afternoon, poor birdie was still where I'd left him. I am going to go in early tomorrow morning & bury him in the front flower bed.

I find it sad that other people didn't think it was sad. After all it was just a bird. Just a bird? Ugh. I know now why I prefer animals to most humans.