Monday, November 14, 2011

My Monday Morning With Crazy

It was a beautiful mild breezy November Monday morning.
The moon was bright and clear in the sky as I sat waiting for my bus.
Everything was running smoothly.
My bus arrived right on time.
Just as I got to the subway platform, the train arrived.
Upon arrival at Finch Station there were only a few people in
line at the Tim Horton’s counter.
I had the exact change needed for my large double double.
And it was so hot, the sweet girl double cupped it without me having to ask.
I got up to the bus platform with 5 minutes to spare and was first in line
So I could get the seat on the bus of my choice.
Seriously, it was a great start to my day.

When I got on the bus I did my usual routine;
place my bag perfectly on my lap, balance my coffee on my leg against
the seat in front in the corner, turn on my MP3 player,
take out my pen and newspaper to read and do the crossword.

10 minutes in, a gentleman sits on the seat in front of me.
He sits sideways on a seat that faces front.
He looks at me and says something.
I took out my ear buds and said, “pardon me?”
I heard, “ blah blah blah I need your pen,
blah blah blah can I use your pen?”

At that very moment, I felt like Sheldon when Leonard
asked him for a napkin. I wanted to say no.
I already have a thing about germs on the bus.
(I’m going to get my flu shot Friday on my way home from work.)
To give a man, who was less than hygienic to begin with,
my pen, caused my cootie alarm to go off.
I gave him my pen.
He then started writing on his plastic bag
while mumbling to himself.

I kept my ear buds in but turned off my music.
When he handed me back my pen, I held it in my right hand.
ONLY my right hand.

This is then how it went.

“I need your newspaper. It’s really important. Blah blah
blah. I need to check something right away. Blah blah blah.
That’s the way uh-huh uh-huh I like it uh-huh uh-huh.”

“I’m sorry sir, I’ve not finished reading my paper and
I will be doing the crossword.  If you’re still on the bus when I’ve finished
I’ll give it to you. If not, they are free and available at every bus stop”

“But I need it. Blah blah blah. Why are you being so selfish?
Blah, blah, blah. It’s important, blah blah blah.”

It is at this time that I stopped looking up
and engaging with him.
I continued reading my newspaper and doing my crossword
while he continued mumbling and invading my personal space.

He got up to talk to the bus driver for a bit and when
he sat back down, he sat in a different seat, thank goodness.
He kept looking at me though as he shuffled restlessly in his
seat waiting for my newspaper.

Magic to my ears. “Bing”.
He rang the bell to get off.
YAY!

I kept the pen in my right hand & didn’t touch anything else.
The second I walked through the door at work I used the huge bottle of
hand sanitizer the receptionist keeps on her desk on my hand and the pen.
When I got upstairs to my desk & got my jacket off
I went to the washroom and washed my hands again
like I was scrubbing up for open heart surgery.

Note to self: 
I can say no to strangers when they ask to borrow my pen.
Or
Carry a pen to give to strangers when they ask to borrow my pen.