Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Little Bit Nuts

I am a little bit nuts about certain foods.

Eggs
 I cut off & take out the umbilical cords - always.
If they smell "off" they go in the trash.
If the egg white is too thick or cloudy they go in the trash.

Milk
I won't drink it within a few days of the expiry date.
I smell it before I pour it
If we buy the 3 bags vs. a carton & Adam loses the expiry date tag, I won't drink it.

Bread
I won't eat it within a few days of the expiry date.
If Adam hasn't closed the bag properly & if it's not airtight, I won't eat it.
If it has been on the counter in the sun & looks sweaty, forget about it.

Cheese
If it hasn't been wrapped airtight, I won't eat it.

Cereal
If the inner bag isn't folded down & airtight, um...nope.
If it's been openned for more than a month, not gonna happen.

Yogurt
I really only like the Fruit On The Bottom style. Texture thing.
If there is too much of the watery stuff on top....I need to drain it.

Chocolate Bars
Have to unwrap & check for bug skeletons.

Chocolate Covered Raisins
They look like chocolate covered houseflys

Hot Dog Buns
Need to separate all the buns before eating.
Thanks to a News bit where a mouse was baked right in & stuck between 2 buns.

Strawberries
Thanks to that link from Adam's Dad, I'm terrified of Strawberry Bugs

Meat & Poultry
One of the reasons I've decided to go Vegetarian is I cannot deal with taking meat off the bone. Tendons, veins, fatty things.....Gross Anatomy 101.

Fish
Must be de-boned & filet'd....no faces.

Leftovers
What is this? Leftovers? I think not.

Flour/Corn Startch/Baking Soda/Baking Powder/Sugar
Check it first for mouse hair.
I remember my Mom telling me once that to pass inspection, flour could
have 10 mouse hairs per bag....or something like that.

Peanut Butter
Sorta like toothpaste, I like to have my own jar.
Only buy small containers & must be eaten within a few weeks once openned.

Jam
Same as Peanut Butter.

Salad Dressing
Same as Peanut Butter, except I don't mind sharing.

Canned Food
I don't buy dented tins

Jars
I can't eat anything in a jar that has its contents on the outside of the jar openning or if it is sticky.

Finally, I will NEVER eat in the dark.

Here is something that, taking the above into consideration
might seem odd. I have no problem buying "No Name" brands.
Look at the labels, they are manufactured & packaged in the same
factories as the name brands. I'm neurotic, not stupid.
Nor am I rich or can afford to throw away perfectly good food.

I was tired tonight so I was lazy & had Tuna Melts for dinner.
The expiry date on the can is 2013.  That is 3 years.
I will now search the shelves for cans with a 3 year window.
Because I know I will think;
" Well, it expires in 2011. That means it could've  been on this shelf 2 years already."


POST NOTE:
I just went to make a cup of tea at work, but the little containers of milk expired 08/31/10.
When I sighed & walked away sans tea, a colleague told me I was mental, " It's just 2 days past."

No comments: