Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Music

I am happy that in High School, I took music, learned to read music, played an instrument, was in both concert and jazz bands, and learned to appreciate different genres.

I've always had music in my life. As a kid, I had Disney albums, sang into the vacuum cleaner handle, and played piano on the edge of the kitchen table. I had the Grease Soundtrack and K-Tel compilation disco albums in the 70's. As a teen in the 80's I bought my albums through the Columbia House Record & Tape Club. I would pull the speakers out of our living room stereo unit, put a pillow on the floor, turn the speakers inward and then build a fort around myself with the sofa cushions. Heaven.

I sound like my Dad when I say music made today is noise, not music. I think it was 2006 or so when I stopped digging the Top 40.  I'm not into the new music.  It no longer seems to be about talent. I want to listen to someone who lives for their music and who does whatever they need to make it their career, versus some kid who thinks it'd be cool to go on a reality show and become a star. Although, I will say, I like Kelly Clarkson. That girl can sing!

Take lyrics for example.  Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here vs. Nicki Minaj Anaconda

Pink Floyd -  Wish You Were Here 

So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

Did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?
Cold comfort for change?
Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here. 


When I hear this song on the radio, I have to stop what I'm doing, close my eyes and live it. I love it. Acoustic guitar, David Gilmour's voice...pure magic.



Nicki Minaj - Anaconda

My Anaconda don't...
My Anaconda don't...
My Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun

Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Look at her butt (look at her butt)

Little in the middle but she got much back
Little in the middle but she got much back
Little in the middle but she got much back
Oh my God (look at her butt)

My Anaconda don't...
My Anaconda don't...
My Anaconda don't want none unless you got buns hun

(Don't don't don't) My Anaconda don't...
(Don't don't don't) Don't want none unless you got buns hun

Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Oh my gosh, look at her butt
Oh my gosh, look at her butt

Yeah, he love this fat ass
Yeah! This one is for my bitches with a fat ass in the fucking club
I said, "Where my fat ass big bitches in the club?"
Fuck those skinny bitches,
Fuck those skinny bitches in the club
I wanna see all the big fat ass bitches in the motherfucking club, fuck you if you skinny bitches. What? Yeah!

Yeah. I got a big fat ass. Come on! 



 All I can say about this is....what the fuck?  I have 2 young nieces and the LAST thing I want them listening to and singing along with crap lyrics like this.

On my way home, another young'un was listening to awful music on their phone without earbuds. Drives me nuts, but I'm not about to give them my bitch face & get shot.

When I got home, I needed to listen to something to replace the thumpa thumpa that was unfortunately catchy and stuck in my head. 

I chose this:


I bought this DVD at BMV Books a few years ago. It is Six Movements for Orchestra, Chorus, and Soloists, recorded live at Salle Wilfred-Pelltier, Place des Arts, Montreal in Feb 2004. 

The score that Howard Shore composed the the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is fantastic. Gives me goose bumps. It is music that makes me feel.

After the DVD finished, I had to of course, start watching the LOTR trilogy.  Tonight I'll get through Disc 1 of 2 of the extended Fellowship of the Ring.

It's good timing, a long weekend approaches and I haven't watched all 3 in a row for awhile. 

No comments: