Sunday, December 22, 2013

Beautiful and Scary

Although I feared falling, as it is how I roll in winter, I had to go outside to see the result of the freezing rain.  My Mom called me this morning to say my brother, who lives just over 1km away, doesn't have power.  He lost it at around 2am.  We do still have power.  I think it's due to there not being any tall trees that have fallen towards the bldg. They've all bent out towards the street. Fingers crossed it'll stay this way.

There are plenty of broken branches from trees, and shrubs, and bushes covered in ice.  It is beautiful and scary.

The traffic lights are out to the North of us as is the building on the corner with the convenience store.  To the South, the traffic lights are still working. TTC buses are slowly making their way up & down Yonge Street, and are not empty.

I will say, I saw TOO MANY people out and about.  Too many older people on their way to church. On a day like this, unless it's life or death, one should NOT venture out either as a pedestrian or in a vehicle.  They are just putting themselves in harms way.  Taking a risk that ought not be taken.  I will say I am happy I did not see any joggers out today.  There were a few out yesterday slipping & sliding all over the place in their runners without grip.

After a few minutes, I felt I was putting myself in harms way by being on the sidewalk as a few cars (and one jerk-off in a pick up truck going way too fast) went by and brought up broken branches & twigs. I didn't want to get impaled by flying debris.

I would have loved to go into the park to take more photos, but there are 20 steps to get to the main section and well, no.

These first 2 photos are of my favorite trees across the street by the parkette.  The first shot was taken yesterday when it started to rain.  The second shot is from this morning.  Scary how much it is weighted down with ice.  A portion has broken off as is laying beside the bldg's side driveway. 

 

Our main steps are blocked.  I'm not going to even try to move this!


These are off the tree by our front window.



Thick ice covering.

See the Canadian flag in the background! 

Those stairs. I just can't risk it!


Another shot of my favorite trees.



The stairs leading up to the church are blocked by fallen branches.

The plan for the rest of the day?  Prepare some food just in case we do lose power.  Get my candles prepped.  Sit under a cozy blanket and relax.

Let's just hope people stay safe and I don't hear sirens on and off all day.