Tuesday, June 5, 2012

So THAT'S What That Noise Was

We live in a beautiful old 5 storey building with 4 apartments on each level.  It was built in the 20's or 30's. Ownership changed a few months back and upon vacancies, they're gutting the units and renovating. The apartment across the hall has been in a state of disaster since March.

They are working Mon-Fri and making a huge mess of dust, splinters and to me, chaos. Not to mention our laundry room, hallway, our front door, apartment entrance-way and even areas of our living room are covered in a constant layer of fine dust.

To avoid the dust, dirt, and potential exposure to asbestos, I use our fire escape exit. It is a door. I am not crawling in a window.  When I got home today Adam told me to go look in the hallway.

They're moving the location of the apartment door!!! WTF!!!

These aren't the best shots, but you'll get the idea.  It stinks in the hall. It is musty, dusty and awful!  I can't believe they didn't cover up the hole in the wall with plastic. There is particle board up on the inside of the apartment but all the schmutz and crap in the wall is just exposed to the hallway.

It does make complete sense after looking at this what all the noise was yesterday. It sounded like a jack hammer.It was loud. Really loud.


Wooden beams. High ceilings. Our door is at the end on the hall on the left and 
our across the hall neighbors door is right across from ours.   
Look at that gaping hole on the right!



The placement of the new door.  I just can't believe they did this. 
The wall is more than a foot in depth.



Wall guts and schmutz. Stinky, musty, and dusty. 



The view from my front door. Honestly, I don't get it.  I've been inside the apartment, 
I've seen the new floor plan so I get it, I just don't get it.

As much as I love the neighborhood, I have been looking at rentals to move closer to work.  I have to cut down my commute and honestly, living on Yonge Street has lost its charm. Plus, this apartment is very dark. Not a lot of natural light, no balcony and the constant noise noise noise noise.  I need quiet, sun, and to be able to step outside.  Fingers crossed our perfect abode awaits us somewhere.

No comments: